- ¾cup smooth almond butter, at room temperature
- ½cup granulated sugar
- ⅓cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
- 1 large egg, beaten, at room temperature
- 1egg white, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⅔cups rolled oats
- ¾teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓cup/28 grams unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼cup/37 grams dried cherries (or another soft, plump dried fruit)
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons shelled sunflower seeds
- 1½ tablespoons flax seeds
- 1½ tablespoons sesame seeds
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a handheld mixer and a large bowl, cream almond butter, granulated and brown sugars, and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add egg, egg white, salt and vanilla, and mix until well incorporated, occasionally scraping the side and bottom of bowl, about 1 minute longer.
Put oats in a small bowl, sift the baking soda over them, and beat into almond butter mixture. With the mixer on low speed, stir in coconut flakes, cherries and seeds until thoroughly mixed. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly against the surface of the dough (still in the bowl) and refrigerate for at least 6 hours and up to 2 days. (This allows the oats to hydrate.)
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a metal 9-inch square baking pan with butter and line it with parchment paper, leaving about 2 inches to hang over 2 sides of the pan and use as handles later. Grease the parchment paper as well.
Scrape dough into the prepared baking pan. Lightly grease a large spatula and firmly press the mixture into the pan in an even layer. Bake until the surface is light golden brown and firm, 25 to 30 minutes.
Transfer to a rack and allow bars to cool completely in the pan. Once cooled, use a butter knife or small offset spatula to cut along the inside edges of the pan and release the bars. Using the parchment paper overhang, lift bars out of the pan and place them on a cutting board. Cut into 18 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.